jurisdiction Tag Archives

What To Do If You Are Injured in an Accident in the United States

Globe, focused on US-Canadian border

If you are from Ontario and are involved in a car crash in the United States, you may be able to commence an action in Ontario, in the state in which the accident occurred, or both. Your ability to do so will depend upon many factors, including any insurance available to the parties involved and the particular facts of each case.

Clatney v. Quinn Thiele Mineault Grodski LLP, 2016 ONCA 377

In special circumstances, the Court of Appeal has jurisdiction to reopen contingency fee agreements that have been paid and order an assessment to be conducted to ensure public confidence in the administration of justice.

Romanko v. Nettina, 2014 ONSC 5153

Released September 8, 2014 | CanLII The insureds, Victor Romanko and Teareasa Romanko, were Ontario residents were injured in a motor-vehicle accident while driving in New York State. The insureds brought an action in Ontario against the driver and owner of the other vehicle involved in the accident, Dennis Nettina, a resident of New York State, and the Romanko’s automobile insurer, the Co-operators General Insurance …